If you would like to help the refugee crisis, start local. Buy a ticket to YOGA FOR REFUGEES and join us for this evening where the goal is to raise money to help 250 more refugee women and children in crisis in London.
It’s hard to put into words how special we anticipate it will be:
- You’ll be the first to hear the unique piece off music composed by Amir Amor of Rudimental for Ourmala!
- There’ll be a 1.5 hour yoga class led to this music by internationally acclaimed yoga teacher Emma Henry
- Wonderful yoga teachers from different yoga backgrounds will assist Emma
- Live music by critically acclaimed musicians including NME Awards nominee Anne Malone, Bhakti musician Jahnavi Harrison and Jazz maestro Ben Hazleton.
- Special guest speakers!
- Beautiful food and drink thanks to Vita Coco and itsu
- A raffle with a select number of extremely good prizes (retreat for two in Iceland anyone?!)
- Goody bags and more!
When refugees are forced to flee for their lives from areas such as Syria, they end up in places like London – as no doubt you know. They arrive traumatised, often utterly alone and extremely vulnerable, unsure of how to get food, where to live, how the legal system works, etc.
Ourmala is a humanitarian charity and we are organised to help these people rebuild their lives and integrate into London society.
- We offer a safe space to breathe and stability through Yoga. We are told time and time from the refugees we serve, how yoga gives them hope, the physical and mental strength to go on; how it reduces their pain and helps them sleep through the night (rare due to nightmares).
- We connect them with critical services around health, food and housing.
- We help them fulfil their potential by help them volunteering and get into education and work.
Ourmala works in partnership with organisations such as the British Red Cross, The Helen Bamber Foundation and Freedom from Torture to make this happen. We are set-up to provide a sustainable and programmatic response to the refugee crisis in our local community. When refugees escape their unliveable-in countries of origin, then who helps them?
Buy a ticket to YOGA FOR REFUGEES on the evening of Tuesday June 21st in London, near Victoria, and know that you will be making a practical and positive difference to individuals trying to rebuild their lives with dignity in our local community. This isn’t a one off donation, it’s is contribution to an ongoing programme of support where our ultimate goal is for the refugees to (always) be part of our community but no longer need our services because they have integrated, with the welcoming support of the rest of us.
Quite a few of the refugees and asylum-seekers we serve will also be at YOGA FOR REFUGEES so everyone who comes will also be showing them directly that there are people out there who care very much.
Thank you in advance.
By Emily Brett, Yoga Teacher and Founder/CEO Ourmala.