LOVE, BREATHE, SERVE: Yoga for Refugees, Asylum Seekers & Under-served Groups
This course has been specifically designed for those interested in working with evidence-based trauma-informed yoga that is gender and culturally sensitive. OURMALA’s programme is proven to significantly improve mental and physical health, reduce loneliness and enable people to feel safer, more confident and support integration into UK society. Much of the content of this course is also usable with other vulnerable people.
This course will give you the fundamentals of OURMALA’s model so you can:
- Apply to join OURMALA’s team of yoga teachers, to whom we are committed to paying a fair wage
- Adopt or adapt it to run your own yoga programme in the style of OURMALA
- Understand the science and best practice and learn how to use yoga to serve most effectively, creating a truly healing environment for those most at need.
If you are a yoga teacher, you will gain the practical skills and scientific knowledge to teach a class in the style of OURMALA as well as increasing confidence, sensitivity and know-how regarding best practice for making sure your work delivers the most fruitful results.
This course will also cover the basics of setting up and running your own trauma-informed yoga programme. All profit from this course will enable access to yoga for people who are refugees and seeking asylum through OURMALA’s work.
Today’s media shows countless images of refugees and asylum-seekers, often in a desperate and derogatory light. Their reality is harsh, and many are vulnerable. They are also some of the bravest, wonderful and inspiring individuals we have ever met.
OURMALA has been dedicated to creating access to trauma-informed yoga for people seeking international protection since 2011. We have worked with the NHS since 2013.
This course is informed by best practice for working with people who have experienced atrocities such as torture, sexual violence in conflict and human trafficking. Additionally, our invaluable practical experience and feedback from those seeking international protection continue to inform the content of our training. Our model is also aligned with the Harvard Refugee Trauma Programme: Trauma & Recovery.
Your admission fee for this training will directly support our work.
- £330 Sponsor – a voluntary higher rate enabling us to offer supported rate places
- £300 Standard – this covers our costs but not the cost of providing supported places
- £240 Supported – for those unable to afford the standard rate
Topics we will cover:
- An introduction to refugees and asylum-seekers living in the UK
- Yoga philosophy and where OURMALA fits in
- OURMALA’s trauma informed yoga programme
- Situational analysis
- Why join OURMALA’s team
Continual Professional Development
This course will count as 12 CPD points for members of most professional Yoga organisations. Please note that this is not yet the case for Yoga Alliance. If you’re in any doubt about whether you can claim CPD for coming along, kindly check with the organisation of which you are a member or in training with.
Please note that attending this event does not lead automatically to joining OURMALA‘s teaching team. This course will give you insight into what teaching on our team is like. If you are interested in joining us after the course, the next steps involve being invited to interview, shadowing our teachers, 1-2-1 supervision and ongoing support whilst you teach or assist.
Upcoming training dates: